August 2018

Client work

Refactoring, refactoring and more refactoring. Continuing on with the client work I have been doing quite a bit of refactoring lately for the helpline case module.

I have been making sure all the code is commented, all the function parameters are type hinted and have return types as well making some of the functions more streamlined and have less lines of code.

One particular function I have refactored was quite large due to the nature of what the function was designed to do.

The function was a huge form designed which works with 4 database tables and is used to merge 2 helpline cases together into 1 new helpline case.

The function also shows and works with different database tables and shows or hides certain fields depending on the type of helpline case as the helpline case can have a number of different types.

I streamlined the code to half the number of lines of code the function contained.

Other than this I have been working on the update button on the helpline case datagrid.

When a case is locked I have implemented access rules to stop the case being accessed by any other user other than the owner of the locked case.

It only made sense that when a helpline case is locked that the update button needs to greyed out and become un-clickable to all users that do not have access to the case.

So I have implemented this functionality and used ajax so that the button updates in real time.

I have also recently started implementing the case alerts.

Alerts are messages that can be given a date range, when a user enters a case if there are any alerts for that case the user will be informed and can view the alerts.

Garden furniture

It has been hot recently. So to sit outside and enjoy a cup of tea I decided to buy some garden furniture …

I actually bought 4 chairs and a table from B&Q costing a total of £85.

Cleaned car show photo

Hand cleaned my new car this month …

Updates to Toolkit

I have updated my personal business management system I call Toolkit.

I have built a new set of reports on the project level and a new set of reports on the client level.

The reports show a break of time and earnings over various periods of time.

PHPStorm

I have continued using PHPStorm and I am liking it the more I use it which is strange for me as I use to prefer the smaller text editors with less functionality than a full blown IDE.

However some of the features really come in handy such as the ability to automatically generate “use” statements, generation of code comments, code completion, code structure viewer and error reporting.

That just about sums up what I have been doing the last couple of weeks.