Merry Christmas and a happy New Year – 2017

Another year gone by and it is nearly time for Christmas.

Over the last 12 months …

Client work
I have taken on and worked with 3 new clients this year. As you may or may not know I am a one man contractor and my contracts generally last months at a time so 3 new clients has proved sufficient.

Toolkit
I have worked on an internal system for managing my business which is 90% complete. For all intents and purposes the Toolkit is completed. The remaining 10% will involve adding any remaining features I can think up or that may be needed.

Neptune – Lead Tracker
I have developed the initial Neptune Lead Tracker and put it online. Neptune has not seen much growth as of yet, I will leave Neptune for 1 more year then take it down if no one is using Neptune. – http://www.neptuneleadtracker.com

Czech Character Code Converter
I developed a web based software script to help me with work on a particular client this year. Afterwards I gave the web based software script a basic front-end and uploaded it online so it can be used by other people. – http://www.czechcharactercodeconverter.com/

King of Adem
Started writing code for a multiplayer strategy game. This project is on the back-burner at the moment and will remain there until some interest is shown from a game developer who would like to take the project further with me.

Overall a very good year.

As I wind down for Christmas I will not be writing anymore blog posts until January 27th 2018 so please check back then to continue reading my blog.

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year, until next year, bye for now.

Internal system – Toolkit

I have been using a web based product called ActiveCollab for sometime now …

https://activecollab.com

I have been using ActiveCollab since version 4. When ActiveCollab 5 was introduced it had a complete redesign, less features and a more slick user interface.

More features have been introduced to ActiveCollab 5 though since it was first released.

ActiveCollab is a project management system that also handles Time Tracking and Invoicing plus more.

I will continue using ActiveCollab for projects / task management however for other areas of my business I have created my own internal tool which I have named “Toolkit”.

I built my own system because I wanted a system that would do the following …

Estimate earnings
Fixed fee and retainer projects are entered into the Toolkit. The Toolkit can then estimate monthly and yearly earnings based on the projects entered. The projects also includes a way for me to manage all the projects I am working on.

Incomings
The Toolkit has an area in which all incomings can be entered. The incomings can then be exported in a format appropriate for my accountant.

Outgoings
The Toolkit has an area in which all outgoings can be entered. The outgoings can then be exported in a format appropriate for my accountant.

Mileage
The Toolkit has an area in which all mileages can be entered. The mileages can then be exported in a format appropriate for my accountant.

Leads
The Toolkit has an area in which leads can be managed. I actually pulled this area out of the Neptune – Lead Tracker – http://www.neptuneleadtracker.com software system.

CRM
The Toolkit includes an area in which all the companies and people I have worked for can be managed. ActiveCollab does actually include this feature but the Toolkit version allows more advanced search features and has fields on the create / update forms to match my exact needs.

Timetracking
The Toolkit includes an area in which all time entries can be tracked. ActiveCollab does have this feature.

Invoicing
The Toolkit includes an area in which invoices can be created. Invoices can also be generated from time entries. ActiveCollab does include this feature but the Toolkit version matches my exact needs precisely.

Notes
The Toolkit includes an area to keep notes. ActiveCollab does include this feature.

Files
The Toolkit includes an area to upload files. ActiveCollab does include this feature.

ActiveCollab has a more slick, beautiful user interface but in terms of functionality built specifically for myself obviously the Toolkit wins.

The Toolkit is primarily made up of CRUD screens, no fancy UI / Ajax heavy screens here. Just datagrids and buttons.

I am in the process of live testing the Toolkit I have built and will be moving various functions of my business over to the Toolkit.