Mid August 2018

Client work

Carrying on with helpline module I have been doing lots of refactoring for the up and coming handover of the project.

Also I have been creating update actions for both case notes and case alerts.

A user can click on the edit pencil icon next to case note or alert, an edit form appears at the bottom of the alerts or notes and the screen scrolls to the edit form.

When the user has finished editing the alert or note the screen scrolls back to the alert or note.

I have done a major refactoring of the case merge section to now use a special case merge model which handles the validating and saving of the case merge action.

This has reduced the number of lines in the case merge controller significantly.

I have currently got another project with a different client in the pipeline so I will be starting that in the near future.

Losing weight

I have now lost a total of 2 stone since starting my weight loss program.

For those who do not know I have done this by exercising on my treadmill at least 4 days a week for 1 hour. I do not run on my treadmill but walk at a moderate pace.

As well as this I try to stick to around 100 – 120 carbs per day. I have some “off” days maybe once or twice per week but I generally stick with it.

I notice that by having a lower carb diet the diet naturally becomes lower in calories except that it is made up of foods that actually keep you fuller for longer. So the lower carb diet has been a win all round.

July 2018

Client work

I have recently been working on a new module for a medical web software system.

The new module serves the purpose of collecting information for a medical support helpline.

Essentially people can ring the medical helpline and the support staff at the other end of the phone can use the system to enter various details.

Details about the caller, medical patient, details about the illness and about the call can all be stored within the system.

So far I have been implementing a massive form which has loads of input fields as well as a case notes section.

The module has been built on the Yii 2 framework which is what the rest of the system is built in.

The Yii 2 framework is a framework built using the PHP programming language.

The form has an associated grid which lists all the current cases or records. The grid is searchable and sortable.

The database for the module was created using the Yii 2 migrations and SQL.

Migrations are a library within the framework which allow you to write code to generate the database.

Migrations can be rolled forwards and backwards so allow a way of versioning the database.

The case notes section includes an Ajax form along with a good looking styled list view.

At its most basic Ajax is a way of communicating with the server from the browser in the background using Javascript.

Which means from a user standpoint the page does not need to reload when adding new case notes.

PHPStorm IDE

For this project I have actually been using a new program called PHPStorm …

https://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm

I needed to use this as part of the project as PHPStorm was part of the clients requirements as the client also uses PHPStorm.

PHPStorm has a lot more features than the text editor program I was using before because PHPStorm is an IDE and not a text editor.

IDE mean Integrated Development Environment.

PHPStorm takes some getting use to as one would expect but by the looks of things PHPStorm will be worth it the more I learn about it.

I like the way PHPStorm provides information about areas of the code such as class / function definitions.

I also like the way PHPStorm provides the class structure of the project.

There is a lot more to PHPStorm than this though.

The text editor I was using before was called TextMate …

https://macromates.com

I really like TextMate and I will most likely still use TextMate for some of my personal projects.

Although TextMate has a lot less features the feel of it is more slicker and less clunky than PHPStorm.

Also as one would expect due to its smaller feature set.

Toolkit new report feature

I have added a new report to my custom built business management system named Toolkit.

I built the system a while ago to collect information on various areas of my business.

I have added a new report to the system which shows me how many hours I have spent on a particular project and the cost of the project so far.

The cost is calculated by multiplying the number of hours by the project rate or rates.

I already had many reports in this Toolkit system but this has been needed for a while now.

It makes it easier when I can just click on a project and see how many hours I have spent on the project and how much money the project has been billed for so far.

So that concludes the work I have been doing recently.